Slicing Issue Fill on Layers and Skipping Layers

At first I thought this was just a glitch in the graphics again since I had that happen before in Craftware but after printing out some parts I noticed it will print what it shows on the screen.

So the issue is that some parts with holes with have a layer or more where the slicer fills in the opening.
I noticed this first with some Prusa parts downloaded from the Prusa repository and then noticed this same issue again when attempting to slice a Watch / Bracelet holder that I found on Thingiverse HOWEVER with the Watch stands I also noticed some layers where being skipped completely.
I went through the slicer settings and could find anything to change the output. Maybe someone else can share their insight on this.
I would love for Craftware to be my default slicer but currently for most things its still Cura because I know it generally doesn't do anything strange. When I need increased quality I go back to Craftware.

Thank You

May 7, 2017

David Orlo David Orlo
Beginner
8 posts

17 replies

Hello David!
Have you checked the .stl and .obj files? It can be possible that the problem is caused by the model. Also, it can be a bug in Craftware as well. If you rotate the object around Z axis, it may solve the issue.

May 8, 2017

Edina Fajcsi Edina Fajcsi
Admin
59 posts

I have noticed with the small Prusa object that goes on the Z steppers if I reduce the amount of parts down on the build plate then it resolves itself.
The other Prusa part I did not test that but the Watch stand I have rotated in several orientations and it does not go away. I also opened the model in Mesh Mixer and used the Make Solid function to basically make a new version of the model and that also did not resolve the issues.

May 8, 2017

David Orlo David Orlo
Beginner
8 posts

At least for the missing layers I have an idea: CW has a bug that causes this if "Far Travel" is set too high - "too high" beginning at a very small number of mm (I don't remember off hand, but since you have placed multiple objects on your build plate I could easily imagine that you changed the default value). If so, try with perhaps 1mm and if that works go carefully higher until the effect starts. By increasing it high enough you can make your gcode almost disappear :-)
The "layered air" is very annoying - I have it too, but mainly on infilled layer where it costs extra time but does not really break anything. Sometimes moving objects, changing layer heights (even though 0.199 and 0.201 and so on are not well suited for the z-stepper) or shell numbers helps, but mostly not. I suppose it makes up for the completely missing top/bottom layers you sometimes get where bits of the pattern are simply ignored by the slicer if using concentric fill...

May 10, 2017

Kerrberos Kerrberos
Beginner
28 posts

Guys, get that "Far Travel"-bug fixed, PLEASE!
Far-Travel: 4.5 mm

Far-Travel: 5.0 mm

Far-Travel: 6.0 mm

Far-Travel: 10.0 mm

Why would it skip layers, if I don't want to retract every 4 mm??
This is really annoying! And, to me, a reason not to use CraftWare anymore.

May 15, 2017

Gilu Gilu
Beginner
13 posts

So we can play with far travel to "fix" the missing layer issue but if layers are getting filled in completely we just have to use another slicer is what it sounds like.

May 15, 2017

David Orlo David Orlo
Beginner
8 posts

Although there are always reasons to use another slicer (as each slicer has it's pro's and con's), I don't see why this specific bug should force you to another slicer. 4mm travel for suck and prime is already a lot, even for Bowden extruders. But, of course, you can have a printer that needs it. BTW: what printer do you use?

Cura because I know it generally doesn't do anything strange

I have another experiences with Cura.... Certainly regarding support generation.

I recently tested 6 slicers, aimed to print at the CraftBot, but mostly an "academic" approach about slicing, see here:
Be aware: I used the Prusa version of Slicrr, not the original one.

May 16, 2017

Bart ter Haar Bart ter Haar
Service partner
1433 posts

It's not actually the suck/prime value that's causing this effect, but rather the "Min. distance" for far travel at which elevation will set in.
I don't really use this as I have no stringing issues (except with Semiflex and no retraction at all, but that's another matter).
I find the slight ooze that can't be avoided during the time the elevation takes will usually do more harm than good...

May 19, 2017

Kerrberos Kerrberos
Beginner
28 posts

So I checked my min distance length and it was already a very low 1mm. Cant really go much lower than that and I actually wanted to print something with a higher retract min distance since I wasn't too worried about stringing on this part.
I upped the setting to 4mm and sure enough I was missing a bunch of layers.
I played with the check boxes and found if you uncheck "Avoid Islands" it should resolve the missing layer issue. It did for my print anyway but I did still notice some anomalies.

See Pic

May 23, 2017

David Orlo David Orlo
Beginner
8 posts

I am having half of the issue stated here. When I decided to print a part with 6 upper/lower and perimeter layers, the slicer does not handle it properly. As far as things go, craftware doesn't like slicing tubes either.
STL file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9ozhky1puuvkx9/spoolholder.stl?dl=0

Note the unfilled area where there should be perimeters.

May 26, 2017

Kyle Kyle
Beginner
4 posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but that did not happen when I sliced the part:

PS: If it were me I'd tweak the design a little so it could be printed without any supports.

May 26, 2017

Birk Binnard Birk Binnard
Revered
616 posts

Your sliced image looks like it only has maybe 2 perimeters. I don't disagree that no support would be a nice way to go. I just wanted a backbone without the extra material.

May 27, 2017

Kyle Kyle
Beginner
4 posts

I've just tried as well -
Result:
Model aligned at 45° (like in the first picture by Kyle): terrible gaps in perimeters, gcode useless
Model aligned in X-Y-direction (like in Birk's picture): slices ok, with 6 and even with 10 perimeters and 6 bottom/top layers.
(I didn't test any other alignments.)
I too like to arrange my models at 45° because the printer doesn't get into as much resonance, but in this case there seems to be a fair case against doing that.

May 27, 2017

Kerrberos Kerrberos
Beginner
28 posts

If only my print bed was larger than 150 x 150. :P

May 27, 2017

Kyle Kyle
Beginner
4 posts

You should have said :-)
New try: ANYthing other than 45° gives me acceptable perimeters. Approx. 37° is the minimum to land under 150 for the longer direction. The closer to 45° I get the worse the (related?) effect is of the partly filled layers where there should actually be infill. You could give 40° or close to that a go and see what happens... => ?!

May 27, 2017

Kerrberos Kerrberos
Beginner
28 posts

I added 5 degrees to the Z axis and it did indeed slice properly.Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to remember it for next time.
I still have to imagine that the lack of perimeters is still a bug given how some objects might not rotate nicely.

May 27, 2017

Kyle Kyle
Beginner
4 posts

I have been trying to print this wing part using different slicers trying to find one that slices with some common sense. I have also ran into this issue with skipping layers. I have tried reducing the Far Travel from Zero to 10mm, nothing works. It always breaks right here. Tried rotating around the table and moving around the table, nothing works. Its always broken right here.Slicing Issue Fill on Layers and Skipping Layers

June 18, 2017

Angry Angry
Beginner
7 posts

Have you checked the .stl file? It can be possible that there are some problems with the surfaces. Please send it to support(at)craftunique.com and we will try find out the cause of the issue.

June 19, 2017

Edina Fajcsi Edina Fajcsi
Admin
59 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.